Powered By Blogger

Sunday 30 March 2014

My first completed work of textile art


I'm delighted to say the workshop with Paddy Hartley was wonderful, and this is my completed piece of art.
My family has strong connections to the Irish Linen industry, and I have told some of their story using this Irish Linen blouse.  Holes and "doors" were cut into it; and images layered into it.  The words were free motion embroidered onto soluble fabric, and the fabric was dissolved in water, leaving the letters made of threads.  

It has inspired me to create something to tell more of the story, which will require further research, and extra photographs.  I'm very proud of my heritage, and my grandmothers who worked hard to create this world famous fabric.  It has been a real pleasure to commemorate them in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment