Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 18 March 2014

Tea dyeing, leather and handbags

I've been playing at ageing the appearance of plain cotton calico by dyeing it with tea.  The results are remarkably colourfast, even when washed at 30 degrees.  I'm going to use one of the pieces as the backing fabric for my prayer flag/mini banner on the mines during the Industrial Revolution.  

I met an amazing designer-maker today.  Her name is Karina Hesketh, and she has an MA in fine art.  Karina makes amazing handbags.  She creates the designs with her partner Paul, and each piece is hand cut from Grade A leather.  She makes the bags herself, from start to finish, and each one is unique.  In my opinion her bags are REAL designer bags.  They aren't made on a production line far removed from the so called designer, like Chanel, Dior, and Mulberry.  You can see them at www.karinasbags.co.uk - here's one:




I got off cuts of leather from Karina today, and I'm going to incorporate some into the Industrial Revolution piece (see above) to signify the leather harnesses worn by the women and children coal drawers.  These harnesses had chains attached, and the tubs of coal were then fastened to the chains, and pulled through the mine by women, and children aged as young as 9.

No comments:

Post a Comment